Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:04:46 +0100
From:      Jordi Espasa Clofent <jordi.espasa@opengea.org>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Transparent FW: PF+briging mode

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a transparent FW using PF+bridging mode; the
network arquitecture will be:

[Internet] <-> ( xl0 ) <bridge> ( xl2 ) <-> ( switchs ) <-> (clients
with /23 public IPs )

I've read a lot in this list and other places about some problems with
bridging mode and PF; but I don't understand exactly where is the
problem. Maybe it's an old problem solved at present moment, because
these post were is 2004/2005 and related to 5.x:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-pf/2005-August/001369.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-pf/2005-January/000745.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-November/001697.html

My questions are:

¿Is possible to build the commented arquitecture with _ALL_ pf features
available?
¿Can the FW (pf) inspect and act on the packets which pass through the
bridge with clients as final destination?
¿Are there differences related to this problem in using 6.x or 7.x branches?

--
Thanks
Jordi Espasa Clofent