Date:      Sat, 09 Jun 2007 21:45:03 -0400
From:      Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        bob@a1poweruser.com, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Php5 port and Apache Module

Jonathan Horne wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>> The php4 & php5 port apache module used to be default before FBSD 6.0.
>>> Many people before you on this list have wanted the php4/5 apache module
>>> turned back on as default but so far the port maintainer has not done
>>> anything
>>> in any way of justifying removing the apache module from the default setting
>>> or re-enable it as the default.

[snip]

> seems like it was removed from the default config of lang/php5 for security
> reasons.  many people who do build php5 do not need the apache module, so no
> sense building it if its not needed.
>
> cd /usr/ports/lang/php5
> make config
> (edit your choices)
> make deinstall
> make reinstall
>
> its just one of those things that you learn to live with after a while.

Everyone seems to be misunderstanding my question. I'm aware of how to
build mod_php5. I'm curious about why the default configuration builds
php5 as a standalone CLI and CGI rather than as an apache module. I'm
assuming that there is some good engineering behind this decision but
I'd like to know a little more about that engineering. Is there some
advantage to running php as a Fast CGI process?

-- Chris

P.S. Sorry Bob, I've scanned the commit logs for the port and there is
no mention of security problems with mod_php5.so. To tell the truth I
cannot imagine that there would be any security issues in mod_php5.so
that didn't also exist in /usr/local/bin/php-cgi. I could be wrong here
though and then I would have the answer to my question.

--
       __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
     _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks