Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:25:40 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jmc <jcagle@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using Virtual Serial Port on COM1

Hi,

I tried this again, and it is only partly working.

First, I:

1) Set in the BIOS:

SET CONFIG EMS CONSOLE 1 (=> DISABLED)
SET CONFIG EMBEDDED SERIAL PORT 2 (=> COM2)
SET CONFIG VIRTUAL SERIAL PORT 1 (=> COM1)
SET CONFIG BIOS SERIAL CONSOLE BAUD RATE 9600
SET CONFIG BIOS SERIAL CONSOLE PORT 3 (=> COM2)

2) Enable ttyd0 in /etc/ttys with vt100 emulation:

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

3) Set the boot loader to use serial port:

echo '-h' >/boot.config

Then I get the BIOS, the bootloader and the kernel output.

However, once booted, the system then only sees one serial port:

root@cache12:/etc# grep ^sio /var/run/dmesg.boot
sio0: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0: <Standard PC COM port> port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x10 on acpi0
sio0: type 16550A, console
sio0: [FILTER]

It does not give me a login prompt, instead it gives that on the
physical serial port! I want everything to be on the vsp.

Enabling the EMS console on either port did not help. You can download
acpidump -dt output from http://anders.fupp.net/test/acpidump-vsp-com1.txt.

Any clues?