Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:49:59 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jmc <jcagle@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Using Virtual Serial Port on COM1

Hi,

FWIW, if I disable the embedded serial port, and set the virtual serial
port to COM1, this setup works. Which is fine, for most machines, except
the odd cases where I like to use the serial port and log output over
time (I prefer that instead of VSP then).

The BIOS changes needed:

rbsu> SET CONFIG EMBEDDED SERIAL PORT 4
Embedded Serial Port
1|COM 1; IRQ4; IO: 3F8h-3FFh
2|COM 2; IRQ3; IO: 2F8h-2FFh
3|COM 3; IRQ5; IO: 3E8h-3EFh
4|Disabled <=

rbsu> SET CONFIG VIRTUAL SERIAL PORT 1
Virtual Serial Port
1|COM 1; IRQ4; IO: 3F8h-3FFh <=
2|COM 2; IRQ3; IO: 2F8h-2FFh
3|COM 3; IRQ5; IO: 3E8h-3EFh
4|Disabled

rbsu> SET CONFIG BIOS SERIAL CONSOLE PORT 3
BIOS Serial Console Port
1|Auto
2|Disabled
3|COM 1; IRQ4; IO: 3F8h-3FFh <=
4|COM 2; IRQ3; IO: 2F8h-2FFh

rbsu> SET CONFIG BIOS SERIAL CONSOLE BAUD RATE 9600
BIOS Serial Console Baud Rate
1|9600 <=
2|19200
3|57600