Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:01:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>, Yuri Pankov <yuri@darklight.org.ru>
Cc:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: max resolution with vesa driver on amd64 system running FreeBSD 6.2

Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org> wrote: Yuri Pankov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 02:21:09AM -0700, Dino Vliet wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm having problems with my monitor on freebsd. The vesa driver uses 1024X768 while the monitor is capable of doing 1680x1050.
>>
>> Observed here as well:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/5801
>>
>> Using the nv driver is no option because it freezes my system and I have to turn the power down to start booting the system again.
>>
>> Am I in a problematic situation now because:
>>
>> 1) Vesa isn't capable of using higher resolutions?
>> 2) I can use NV because the driver isn't ok on my amd64 system
>> 3) Nvidia doesn't provide a FreeBSD version of their nvidia driver on AMD64 based systems?
>>
>> Brgds
>>

> Not an answer you want but.. Try using xf86-video-nv 2.1.2 (as opposed
> to 1.2.2.1, which is in ports now). All you need to do is change
> PORTVERSION to 2.1.2 in x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv/Makefile, delete
> distinfo and `make fetch makesum install'.

No need to change the Makefile anymore, it's in ports.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org

I already have it installed and I updated it today. Will try to change it to nv iso vesa driver and see what's happening. I knew my whole desktop was freezing when I used the nv driver together with the geforce 6200 GPU on my amd64 system. Will look if I don't get these anymore.

Thanks