Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:58:22 +0100
From:      Nikola =?UTF-8?B?TGXEjWnEhw==?= <nikola.lecic@anthesphoria.net>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        x11@FreeBSD.org, kde@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The dash key doesn't work in Cyrillic keyboards

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:22:32 +0000
"Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>=20
> I had the keyboard-switcher configured in KDE to cycle between the
> main US, Ukrainian, and Russian keyboards. I use the "phonetic"
> layout for the latter two.
>=20
> Some time after a partial upgrade this summer the "-" (key to the
> right of the zero) stopped working -- pressing it while using either
> of the Cyrillic keyboards does not enter anything. I'm forced to use
> the minus key on the numeric sub-keyboard.
>=20
> I just rebuilt another computer (from scratch) and am seeing the same
> problem on it...
>=20
> I'm not sure, whether this is an X11 or a KDE problem :(

Hi Mikhail,

AFAIK the keyboard module of KDE Control Centre is just a GUI wrapper of
Xorg-level xkb tools... so please disable all Control Centre keyboard
settings and then try this:

  % setxkbmap -layout 'us,ru(phonetic),ua(phonetic)' \
              -option '' \
              -option 'grp:rwin_toggle' \
              -option 'grp_led:scroll' \
              -rules 'xorg' \
              -model 'pc105'

The first -option argument is empty in order to disable any existing
option(s). This works as expected ('-' works normally). I tried these
settings out of KDE, but I guess it will work just fine in KDE too.

As a Cyrillic and (past) KDE user, I sometimes experienced similar
keyboard problems and always resolved them using such command-line
configuration.

Best regards.

--=20
Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87 :: =D0=9D=D0=B8=D0=BA=D0=BE=D0=BB=D0=B0 =D0=9B=D0=B5=
=D1=87=D0=B8=D1=9B