Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:41:44 -0700
From:      "Murray Stokely" <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] Another successful Summer of Code

Congratulations to the successful students and their FreeBSD Project
mentors for participating in another productive Google Summer of Code.
This program encourages students to contribute to an open source
project over the summer break with generous funding from Google.  We
have had a total of over 70 successful students working on FreeBSD as
part of this program from 2005 through 2008.  These student projects
included security research, improved installation tools, filesystems
work, new utilities, and more. Many of the students have continued
working on their FreeBSD projects even after the official close of the
program.  We have gained nearly a dozen new FreeBSD committers from
previous summer of code projects already, and more are in the process
of formally joining the project.

Information about the student projects is available from our Summer of
Code wiki (http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/SummerOfCode2008) and all of the
code is checked into Perforce.  A summary of each individual project
by the students themselves is provided on the wiki and the text is included
below.

Please join us in congratulating these students and thanking them for
their significant contributions to FreeBSD this summer.

Regards,

- Murray Stokely
 Robert Watson
 (FreeBSD Summer of Code Organizers)

2008 Student Projects :

       1. Implementation of MPLS on FreeBSD
       2. TCP/IP regression test suite (tcptest)
       3. Porting Open Solaris Dtrace Toolkit to FreeBSD
       4. Adding .db support to pkg_tools --> pkg_improved
       5. Porting BSD-licensed text-processing tools from OpenBSD
       6. Multibyte collation support
       7. VM Algorithm Improvement
       8. TCP anomaly detector
       9. FreeBSD auditing system testing
      10. Dynamic memory allocation for dirhash in UFS2
      11. Reference implementation of the SNTP client
      12. NFSv4 ACLs
      13. Enhancing FreeBSD's Libarchive
      14. Allowing for parallel builds in the FreeBSD Ports Collection
      15. Ports license auditing infrastructure
      16. Improving layer2 filtering
      17. Porting FreeBSD to Efika (PPC bring up)
      18. Audit Firewall Events from Kernel
      19. ShinyBSD

 * Project: Implementation of MPLS in FreeBSD
   Student: Ryan French
   Mentor: Andre Oppermann

   MPLS is a networking protocol used for routing information
   quickly and efficiently. It is used extensively in the internet's
   backbone networks.  Over the course of the program, code has been
   ported to FreeBSD from the OpendBSD/NetBSD operating
   systems. Basic functionality of sending and receiving packets was
   the main goal of the project, but unfortunately this was not
   acheived. It is very close to having this functionality, but
   there are a ffew minor bugs preventing the code from integrating
   fully with the FreeBSD networking stack.

   This project will continue to be worked on until sending,
   receiving, label swapping, tunnels, and the LDP daemon has been
   successfully implemented.

   Ready to enter CVS/SVN: No.

 * Project: TCP/IP regression test suite (tcptest)
   Student: Victor Hugo Bilouro
   Mentor: George V. Neville-Neil

   As a testing tool, it can perform regression, protocol
   conformance, and fuzz tests. The tool may also be employed as an
   aid to protocol developers and both testing and debugging of
   firewalls/routers.

   It's built on top of PCS(Packet Construction Set) "PCS is a set
   of Python modules and objects that make building network protocol
   code easier for the protocol developer. PCS enables testing at
   OSI layers 3, 4, and 5. "

   Tcptest mainly is a python module and one script for each test
   covered (more then one per script often) The module count with
   methods acting as fasteners, doing things like (a)three way
   handshake, (b)active/passive close and (c)several createXX and
   assertXX, where XX=3D(ip, tcp, rst, urg, fin, syn, psh, so on...)
   As the tests are being created, the number of 'fasteners' are
   growing, turning each moment easier to create new tests.

   Use of small tests. So we can cover a wide range of traffics,
   events and transitions predetermined separately. The development
   would be like a protocol, but without covering all possible
   events and transitions, only traffic previously
   determined. Instead of targeting a TCP Finite State Machine (FSM)
   like the implementation of TCP/IP protocols, the development will
   be based towards flow of packets, where traffic is composed of
   packets that are sent and received in a previously registered
   way.

   Links:
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/VictorBilouro/TCP-IP_regression_test_suite
   (project wiki)
   http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=3D//depot/projects=
/soc2008/bilouro_tcptest/src
   (freebsd repository)
   http://code.google.com/p/tcptest/ (source code download)
   http://bilouro.com/tcptest (source code documentation)
   http://pcs.sf.net - Packet Construction Set

 * Project: Porting Open Solaris Dtrace Toolkit to FreeBSD
   Student: Liqun Li
   Mentor: John Birrell

   Sun Open Solaris Dtrace is pretty useful feature.Users can find
   performance bottlenecks with Dtrace in real production
   environment. Since many probes implemented in Open Solaris are
   not supported in FreeBSD. so when we port Dtrace Toolkit to
   FreeBSD, main job is to find whether this probe is supported by
   FreeBSD, if so, find it; if not, develop one to support this
   function. This summer, at first, I went throught all DTK script
   commands, found some of them work directly. But most do
   not. Under my mentor John Birrell careful help, I retrieved the
   respective system variables FreeBSD kernel, and ended up making
   system/uname.d work. In addition, I tried to make sar-c.d work
   under FreeBSD. Since we need to investigate into Son Open Solaris
   Kernel to find how Open Solaris defines the probe and what probes
   it needs, this work is realy time consuming, not done yet. From
   this project, I got to know much about FreeBSD kernel and Dtrace
   probes. I found kernel hacking/coding pretty interesting.

   Ready to enter SVN/CVS: not decided

 * Project: Adding .db support to pkg_tools --> pkg_improved
   Student: Anders Nore
   Mentor: Florent Thoumie

   This project is a replication of the pkg_install tools with
   several new features and speed improvements due to the caching of
   some package-information to a B-Tree Berkeley DB file. Some of
   the new features is the adding of installtime to the installed
   packages +CONTENTS file, human-readable size-output in
   pkg_info(1), progress indication to pkg_add's remote
   option. Installtime range searches with pkg_info(1) and
   pkg_delete(1) similar to that of version search is now available
   using the -M option.

   A new tool pkg_convert(1), caches some parts of the existing
   /var/db/pkg/ flat database into a Berkeley DB file, and the tools
   check for this file and uses it for speed improvements if it's
   available and updates it according to pkg_{add|delete}'s. You can
   also use pkg_convert(1) to view the entries in the cache. The
   tools will give you an indication if the database is corrupt, and
   it's fully recoverable by using pkg_convert(1).

   Two bugs in the existing pkg_tools have also been discovered and
   fixed, everything is ofcourse backwards-compatible with the
   older/original pkg_install tools.

 * Project: Porting BSD-licensed text-processing tools from OpenBSD
   Student: G=E1bor K=F6vesd=E1n
   Mentor: Max Khon

   At the moment, BSD grep seems to be ready and highly compatible
   with the GNU version. However, there are differences in the regex
   handling, which is a result of the different interpretations,
   that the different regex libraries use and thus it is not really
   possible to fix at the level of grep. As for diff, some progress
   has been made, but some important features are still missing. The
   sort utility seemed to be badly constructed concerning the wide
   character support and the overall implementation. Because of
   these difficulties, the efforts were prioritized for grep and
   diff. Probably sort needs a complete rewrite or at least an
   extreme amount of modifications.

   Ready to enter CVS/SVN: If we can accept the regex differencies
   in grep, it is ready to enter SVN after some thorough testing. As
   for diff and sort, they can be installed via the Ports
   Collection.

 * Project: Multibyte collation support
   Student: Konrad Jankowski
   Mentor: Diomidis Spinellis

   Collation is what allows for current language/encoding correct
   sorting/ordering of strings. This project aimed to add proper
   collation in UTF-8 encodings for all languages for FreeBSD. This
   summer I have accomplished:

    + imported data from the Unicode Consortium: POSIX locale files
      and regression test data
    + written converter scripts to extract collation data from this
      files
    + ported Apple's version of colldef (which is our version, but
      much extended by them)
    + extended the colldef even more, to work on collation data from
      the Unicode Consortium
    + added some performance improvements, the biggest one not used
      by default now (no time to test yet) - reading the charmap only
      once for all languages
    + ported Apple version of strcoll, wcscoll, strxfrm, wcsxfrm and
      locale/collate.c, taking out xlocale (rationale on wiki)
    + Written regression test scripts. It appeared that Apple's code
      doesn't full Unicode Collation Algorithm - the part which deals
      with expansions. It is needed for half of languages to pass the
      more advanced regression tests.
    + for last few days I'm working on implementing expansions, I'll
      not rest until they work
    + I wasn't able to start writing manpages and create a megapatch
      agains HEAD, I'll do that when the algorithm is 100% correct for
      all the languages.

   Current informatin will be available on my wiki:
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/KonradJankowski/Collation

   Ready to enter SVS/CVS: After finishing expansion support and cleanup.

 * Project: VM Algorithm Improvement
   Student: Mayur Shardul
   Mentor: Jeff Roberson

   A new data structure, viz. radix tree, was implemented and used
   for management of the resident pages. The objective is efficient
   use of memory and faster performance. The biggest challenge was
   to service insert requests on the data structure without
   blocking. Because of this constraint the memory allocation
   failures were not acceptable, to solve the problem the required
   memory was allocated at the boot time. Both the data structures
   were used in parallel to check the correctness and we also
   benchmarked the data structures and found that radix trees gave
   much better performance over splay trees.

   Ready to enter SVS/CVS: We will investigate some more approaches
   to handle allocation failures before the new data structure goes
   in CVS.

 * Project: TCP anomaly detector
   Student: Rui Paulo
   Mentor: Andre Oppermann

   The TCP Anomaly Detector (tcpad, for short) project went
   reasonably well. I'm currently tracking some bugs and lowering
   the number of false positives.

   tcpad tries to monitor your TCP connections and detect
   non-conformant hosts. It does this by sniffing packets on the
   wire and creating, what I would like to call, a virtual TCP stack
   on each end. When an error is detected, tcpad creates a pcap file
   with all the packets exchanged between the two hosts and the
   state of each virtual TCP stack.

   tcpad is still being developed, so expect it to "detect" dozens
   of "problems" after running for some minutes.

   I was a bit late developing results because the SoC began before
   my exams did (I was still having classes), but now, that "damage"
   is partly fixed. ;-) Overall, this SoC was a really interesting
   learning experience. I must say that my TCP knowledge has
   increased a few points. :-)

   Andre Oppermann is my mentor. I blogged a bit about this project
   at http://blogs.freebsdish.org/rpaulo/ . The wiki page is at
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/RuiPaulo/TCPAnomaly .

   Ready to enter SVS/CVS: No.

 * Project: FreeBSD auditing system testing
   Student: Vincenzo Iozzo
   Mentor: Attilio Rao

   The project was focused on testing the audit system. The first
   part of the project consisted of writing a patch for
   /dev/auditpipe in order to preselect events by process' pid. The
   second half was focused on creating a testing framework for
   audit. Some auxiliary functions and modules were written. what's
   missing: - More abstraction in the framework - More tests for
   events

 * Project: Dynamic memory allocation for dirhash in UFS2
   Student: Nick Barkas
   Mentor: David Malone

   Modified dirhash code in perforce is now able to free up memory
   used by older dirhashes when the VM system invokes vm_lowmem
   events. This will allow the default dirhash_maxmem value to be
   increased, improving performance on large directory lookups when
   there is memory to spare on they system. There are versions of
   the low memory event handling code for both -CURRENT and
   7-STABLE. A number of tests have been run showing the new event
   handler seems to work properly.

   I intend to do further testing and benchmarking to find the best
   default values to use for vfs.ufs.dirhash_reclaimage (the number
   of seconds a dirhash can sit unused before the dirhash low
   memeory event handler will unconditionally delete it) and the
   minimum percentage of memory that will be freed upon vm_lowmem
   events even if there are not enough hashes older than
   dirhash_reclaimage (currently this is hard coded to 10%). I would
   also like to add some code to choose a reasonable new default
   vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem value based upon the amount of memory in
   the system, set automatically at boot time and tunable via
   sysctl. Once these tweaks have been made I plan to ask for
   testing from more users to shake out any bugs or potential
   workloads where the new code may hurt overall performance.

   Current details about status are on the wiki here:
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/DirhashDynamicMemory

 * Project: Reference implementation of the SNTP client
   Student: Johannes Maximilian K=FChn
   Mentor: Harlan Stenn

   A reference implementation of the SNTP client based on the latest
   ntpv4 document. SNTP is a lightweight client that enables admins
   to synchronize with NTP servers. SNTP's networking code is
   written protocol independent and should work with almost any
   protocol like IPv4 or IPv6. SNTP supports MD5 authentication to
   verify the authencity of the queried server.

   Ready to enter CVS: Not determined yet.

 * Project: NFSv4 ACLs
   Student: Edward Tomasz Napierala
   Mentor: Robert Watson

   The aim of my GSoC project was to implement NFSv4 ACLs in a
   similar way POSIX.1e ACLs are supported. That was done by
   extending user utilities (setfacl(1)/getfacl(1)), libc API and
   adding neccessary kernel stuff, for ACL storage and enforcement
   on both UFS and ZFS. Regression tests were implemented to ensure
   correct operation. Semantics is supposed to be identical to the
   one in SunOS. There is also a wrapper (distributed separately)
   that implements SunOS-compatible acl(2)/facl(2) API, to make
   porting applications like Samba easier.

   Ready to enter CVS: not yet

 * Project: Enhancing FreeBSD's Libarchive
   Student: Anselm Strauss
   Mentor: Tim Kientzle

   The idea was to work on some missing parts of Libarchive. Despite
   the many goals, only few of them could be implemented. So far the
   project contributed a ZIP writer with tests. It supports basic
   functionality, except compression, ZIP64 and some fancy features
   of the ZIP specification. Work will now continue free from
   GSOC. It will include finishing the ZIP writer, and working a bit
   on the other goals, like PAX frontend, and others.

   Ready to enter CVS: not yet

 * Project: Allowing for parallel builds in the FreeBSD Ports Collection
   Student: David Forsythe
   Mentor: Mark Linimon

   This project added locks to targets taken from bsd.port.mk that
   could perform conflicting operations if multiple builds were
   running at the same time. First, fake-pkg was modified to obtain
   a lock over PKG_DBDIR to prevent clobbering of the database in
   case more than one port tries to register at a time. Next, a lock
   called BASE_LOCK was added for every port to obtain at the
   beginning of a build. This lock is located in a ports directory,
   and prevents any port from being built by multiple make
   processes. Locks were then added for other sensitive targets, and
   the pkg_install tools were modified to honor locks on PKG_DBDIR.

   Once these locks were added, a new variable, FAKE_J, to take
   advantage of makes -j flag. This allows make to fork multiple
   processes to handle dependencies and fetching, without passing
   the -j flag onto the actual build of a port.

   Ready to enter SVN/CVS: Probably not.

 * Project: Ports license auditing infrastructure
   Student: Alejandro Pulver
   Mentor: Brooks Davis

   This project is about adding license support to the Ports
   Collection, so ports with certain licenses can be identified. The
   ports makefile part is functional (may need some adjustements
   though): definition of licenses by port, notions of permissions
   (sell and redistribute, for distfiles and packages) replacing
   NO_{PACKAGE,CDROM} and RESTRICTED, configuration (one-time, and
   saved; with checksum in case the license changes),
   verbose/diagnostic output of the internal processing logic (how
   it is accepted or rejected, if by the user, by default or by
   saved configuration), registration of license information and
   license itself in the package (so that both packages and ports
   can be searched for properties such as license types or
   restrictions), and more can be easily added to the current code.

   The license database (a list of them and their properties) was
   going to be mirrored from FOSSology: a tool to analyze software
   licenses. We're working on getting FOSSology to automatically
   classify ports (I've sent suggestions and patches to the
   developers, who accepted them and provided very good support). So
   for the moment it's not usable (at least licenses/properties are
   defined manually, and each port is marked manually to indicate
   its license).

   I'll continue working on the FOSSology's port, and on the missing
   features such as multiple licenses support (AND, OR, etc). For
   more information see the wiki page: Ports license auditing
   infrastructure

   Ready to enter SVN/CVS: not yet

 * Project: Improving layer2 filtering
   Student: Gleb Kurtsou
   Mentor: Andrew Thompson

   Project aimed to improve layer2 filtering in ipfw and pf. All of
   the project goals are achieved: pfil framework is extended to
   handle ethernet packets, ipfw layer2 filtering is greatly
   simplified, added l2filter and l2tag per interface flags. Both
   ipfw and pf firewalls support filtering by ethernet addresses,
   support stateful filtering with ethernet addresses and firewall's
   lookup tables are extended to contain ethernet addresses.

   ipfw was extended to perform arp packet filtering: arp-op,
   src-arp and dst-arp options added.

   Details and usage examples are on my blog:
   http://blogs.freebsdish.org/gleb/

   Ready to enter CVS: Not yet, diff is submitted to freebsd-net@
   for public review.

 * Project: Porting FreeBSD to Efika (PPC bring up)
   Student: Przemek Witaszczyk (vi0@)
   Mentor: Rafal Jaworowski (raj@)

   The main aim of the project is to port FreeBSD operating system
   to MPC5200B evaluation board. Among subleading tasks, there were
   objectives such as making kernel proceed to device drivers
   initialization, modelling newbus hierarchy of devices, writing
   the programmable interrupt controller driver, writing the PCI
   driver. The ultimate goal is reaching multiuser mode.

   As for now, half of the project is realized. After solving a few
   difficult problems at the basic level (binary interface issues
   with entry point to the SmartFirmware on the device), the boot
   procedure reaches the device drivers initialization stage, and
   hits the PIC driver init. At this point, the driver skeleton is
   constructed and is called. The driver uses ofwbus bus driver
   which intermediates between the openfirmware and the FreeBSD
   newbus devices hierarchy. After completing the PIC driver, I'll
   be in the position to write the remaining drivers for peripherals
   integrated on the MPC5200B chip using the newbus architecture.

   I am determined to continue the work on the project after the
   formal GSoC end date in order to bring at least the interrupt
   controller driver to operation..

   More info available at project's wiki :
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/PrzemekWitaszczyk and at my GSoC 2008
   blog: http://bitbay.blogspot.com/

   Ready to enter SVN: not yet, at least PIC driver required.

 * Project: Audit Firewall Events from Kernel
   Student: Diego Giagio (diego@)
   Mentor: Christian Peron (csjp@)

   This project is part of TrustedBSD project and aims to provide
   auditing support to security-related events generated by various
   firewall implementations on FreeBSD such as IPFW, PF and
   IPFILTER.

   Currently both administrative events (such as add/remove rules)
   and network events (such as network connection establishment) are
   being audited on IPFW. This means that all IPFW security-related
   events are already being audited the way we planned it
   to. Although PF and IPFILTER auditing support aren't yet
   finished, all the hard infrastructure work needed to implement
   that is already committed.

   The next step is basically finish implementing PF and IPFILTER's
   auditing support. On the IPFW side, my research showed that the
   way it handles statefull connections (even before my work) needs
   improvement. I will also work on this. I will keep working on
   this project in order to polish every rough edge we might
   find. Once this is finished, I'll probably begin working on other
   interesting TrustedBSD projects.

   More information can be found here:
   http://wiki.freebsd.org/DiegoGiagio/Audit_Firewall_Events_from_Kernel

   Ready to enter SVN: Not determined yet, perhaps parts of it.

 * Project: Create a tiny operating system from FreeBSD
   Student: James Harrison
   Mentor: Warner Losh (bsdimp@)

   This project was a success and a failure at the same time. I
   started work imagining that I would be creating, genuinely
   creating, a new tiny operating system from FreeBSD. This was to
   be a worthy goal, a challenging goal, and overall a fun goal. I
   imagined it would involve making a bunch of shell scripts for
   stripping out various parts of the OS, integrate a custom kernel,
   and bob's your mother's brother, everything's done. This was even
   reflected in the name of the project; it's the same approach as
   TinyBSD, so I called mine ShinyBSD as a kind of homage.

   Instead, I gained respect for TinyBSD, which is a fantastic
   tool. A truly, truly, fantastic tool. Ultimately, with just a few
   tweaks, it could do exactly what I needed it to do; building a
   small OS has been completed for some time.

   The second portion was to cross compile and boot an arm device. I
   had more hardware issues than you can shake a large stick at, so
   though I can verify that I was working hard on cross compiling, I
   cannot verify that the cross compiled product I had made sense as
   a bootable image. I've started configuring qemu now to see if I
   can verify via that. In discussion with my mentor, I believe a
   profitable method of applying my knowedge post-GSOC is to get a
   Makefile prepared for TinyBSD that cross compiles out of the box.

   Ready to enter SVN: Not yet, though when the Makefile is complete
   it would be good to offer it up for inclusion in base.