Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:03:52 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Date/time for FreeBSD CVS repo Tag-creation?

--2VXyA7JGja7B50zs

 realize that the project is using Subversion for the src repository
now.  Still, a "CVS view" is still provided, and that's what I have
handy.

Anyway:  A colleague at work has an assignment to determine and plot the
growth in the various branches of code at work, and he started wondering
what a similar graph would be like for the FreeBSD src repository.

Since I keep a local CVS mirror on my desktop, I started a process to
loop through the defined tags for /usr/src/Makefile, and for each one,
create an appropriate CVS working directory, then run the tool my
colleague is using (misc/sloccount) agains that working directory,
saving the results in a tag-specific directory, then blowing away the
CVS working directory.

It's working backwards from HEAD, and is presently working on
RELENG_4_7_BP; it appears to be taking about 22 minutes per tag.

It would be convenient to be able to tie a timestamp to each tag -- any
suggestions?

I thought we might share the results once we have them.  Yes, I intend
to go back as far as CSRG.  :-}

(And yes, RELENG_6_4 and RELENG_6_4_BP were created last night.
I'll go back & take care of that, then RELENG_7_1 & RELENG_7_1_BP,
I expect.)

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--2VXyA7JGja7B50zs

--2VXyA7JGja7B50zs--