Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:57:27 -0400
From:      "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: 802.11 vap support merged

Hi Sam,

On 4/22/08, Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> wrote:
> From UPDATING:
>
>  20080420:
>        The 802.11 wireless support was redone to enable multi-bss
>        operation on devices that are capable.  The underlying device
>        is no longer used directly but instead wlanX devices are
>        cloned with ifconfig.  This requires changes to rc.conf files.

Again, sorry for jumping in late.

Do I interpret this correctly as that it is unsupported, now, to
do something like `ifconfig ndis0 up`?
In my present configuration, I can do:
ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ndis0
ifconfig ndis0 up
and get a useable connection, but:
ifconfig ndis0 up
gives me a panic (hand transcribed)
ndis_setstate_80211
ndis_init
ndis_ioctl
ifhwioctl
ifioctl
soo_ioctl
kernl_ioctl
syscall

Hm, the second argument to ifhwioctl is 0xffffffff and the third is 0 ...

Feel free to tell me to stop shooting myself in the foot, but
I think a more graceful failure mode would be nice.

This with -current supped on Sat Apr 26 18:39:13 EDT

Thanks for any hints,

Ben Kaduk