Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:54:39 +0800
From:      "Jia-Shiun Li" <jiashiun@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome-terminal patched resize behavior

Hi,

I've since a while noticed that when I changed the font size of
gnome-terminal, it does not resize window as in Fedora. Recently I dug
a little and found that it was because of a patch in ports:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/gnome-terminal/files/patch-src_terminal-screen.c?rev=1.3

this patch prevents gnome-terminal from resizing when switching tabs.
To me, the patched behavior is more strange than auto-resize.

Consider the usage:

open window
ctrl-shift-T to open another tab,
ctrl-shift-s-= to zoom-in
alt-1 to switch back to first tab

The vanilla behavior keeps term size of each tab the same (say 80x24),
resize the window.
Patched version keeps window size, reduce the term size (without
gnome-terminal realizing it. try zooming-in and resize the window to
see how the displayed term size changes).

This is a decision whether to resize the term or the window when you
have terminal tabs sharing the same application window but each have
different font and term size. I think the original behavior makes more
senses. So I reverted the patch for my personal use.

Any comments?

Regards,
Jia-Shiun.