Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:43:01 -0800
From:      Cameron <cam@eleventhhourfx.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't boot MSI p6n-sli (nforce 650i) system

It would appear I have two separate problems.

I removed the LSI Logic Megeraid 150-4 sata controller. FreeBSD will now boot
and I can get to sysinstall. Ufortunately it sees no hard drives (I have a
hard drive attached to the MCP51 motherboard's controller). I wanted to
install the array, but neither problem is good.

I've now tried FreeBSD 7.0 amd64 and i386 as well as 6.3 for i386. All of them
get stuck right after the raid card is initialized. I've only tried 7.0 for
amd64 without this card though.

This is the error I get from the MCP51 controller with verbose logging:
ata0: stat0=0x50 err=0x01 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00

I'm doing this from memory because I can't figure out how to get this
information over a serial console (I've only done serial consoles on sparc,
not on PC). But I'm pretty sure that's the error (at least the err=x01 is
absolutely correct).

I'm pretty sure I have the most up to date bios for this board.

Thanks.

-Cameron