Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:21:57 +0930
From:      "Brendan Hart" <brendanh@strategicecommerce.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ukbd0 from dell DRAC5 remote access controller

>> Actually I'm surprised you were able to get dmesg(8) output.  What did
you
>> do, boot into the 2nd stage boot-loader and then set the console to
serial
>> console or just manual copy/paste transcribe?
>
>I've got a local console on the box, plus ssh working :)
>
>> I have the unfortunate situation of having lots of these machines
remotely
>> installed and deployed with DRAC setup with which I planned to do the
>> remote install of FBSD, but this bug is a serious show stopper.
>
>Urgh, I feel your pain.  The remote virtual CD stuff works nicely, and I
>can boot other OSes fine that way, but the keyboard is toast once
>freebsd boots.
>
>> Moreover, the whole ActiveX client dependency is really absurd.  Does
>> anyone have the client working in FreeBSD/Linux/POSIX?  Firefox anything
>> even? I could deal with Java for remote console on DRAC4.
>
>I gave up and used IE on windows to access it :/

Did anyone ever find any success in getting the DRAC5 ukbd0 keyboard working
on FreeBSD 6.x/7.x using the ActiveX virtual console?

I have been wrestling with what appears to the same issue as you have
described. Much research into mailing lists has not yet led me to a
solution. The closest I have achieved is a serial terminal via the DRAC5
card virtual serial port (sio1), but I am still not confident of this
working in case the system has to drop back to single user mode.

The ActiveX console keyboard works fine all through the bios startup, the
boot0 menu and the Beastie screen, up to the start of the FreeBSD kernel
boot.

I have gone as far as disabling atkbd and kbdmux, and confirmed that ukbd is
identifying the DRAC keyboard and connecting to the /dev/console. But still
no keyboard action via the ActiveX console :(

I am beginning to suspect that the DRAC5 usb keyboard implementation is not
100% correct, causing the ukbd0 driver to not work effectively. However Dell
are not helpful to *BSD so pursuing them seems to be a dead end.

Do you have any further advice?

Best Regards,
Brendan Hart

Brendan Hart, Development Manager