Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 02:06:46 +0200
From:      Cristian KLEIN <cristi@net.utcluj.ro>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: accessing FTP tree through HTTP

Hi everybody,

I recently observed that a large number of FreeBSD mirrors (i.e. almost all)
don't give access to the FTP tree through HTTP. For example, if I type in my
browser http://ftp.freebsd.org, I get the FreeBSD Project Page, whereas I would
have expected a directory listing of the FTP tree (like
http://ftp1.ro.freebsd.org/).

I would like to know whether there is a specific reason why not many mirrors
implement this. If there is no specific reason, could we perhaps make this
„standard” for FreeBSD mirrors?

The reason why I would like to see this implemented is because many times I had
to install FreeBSD behind „unfriendly” NAT, which did not translate FTP. Not
having HTTP connectivity is generally considered not having Internet
connectivity, so HTTP access is guaranteed in almost any network.