Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:49:09 +0200
From:      Alain Wolf <wolf@k18.ch>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suhosin Segmentation Fault

After upgrading FreeBSD from 6.3-p3 to 6.3-p5 on our server, all
websites just display a blank page and every HTTP request created a line
as follows in the logs:

child pid 80326 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

This same problem happened on another server a few months ago after the
upgrade from 6.3-p3 to 6.3-p4, but after a rebuild of all FreeBSD ports
all went back to normal. However several rebuilds of all ports did not
solve the problem on this one.

To narrow down the problem: After disabling the PHP module in Apache the
problem disappears.

Re-enabling PHP, but disabling the Suhosin extension also works fine.

The trick found in this  forum, to load the Suhosin extension before all
other PHP extensions in /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini does not help.
In fact not loading any extension at all except Suhosin creates the
segfault errors.

Commenting out our Suhosin settings in php.ini to load it with default
values did not help.

FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p5
Apache 2.2.9 (DAV/2 mod_python/3.3.1 Python/2.5.2 SVN/1.5.2)
PHP Version 5.2.6
Suhosin Patch 0.9.6.2
Suhosin PHP extension 0.9.27

All installed from the ports.

PHP (cli) seems to run fine at all times when called from the command-line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alain Wolf, Zurich, Switzerland