Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2008 14:35:49 -0800
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: separate out tzdata port/package

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:31:54PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 05/09/2008 16:28 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> > I haven't looked at the actual code and have not given any deep thought
> > to this, so the following might be silly.
> > Is it possible to separate java tz data into its own port/package?
> > Maybe even shared by all/some JDKs.
> > I usually install java from ports and it seems like a waste to rebuild
> > the whole jdk just to get an updated tz data.
>
> Sorry, still no code.
> But here's an idea how this suggested port/package would work.
>
> It would install (at least) tzupdater.jar somewhere in ${LOCALBASE}/lib
> or share.
> In its install script it would iterate over registered Sun Java VMs
> (javavms file) and execute $vm -jar tzupdater.jar -u (or something similar).
> jdk* ports would grow a dependency on this new port and would execute
> tzupdater.jar as part of their build/install pretty much as they do now.
>
> The only issue that I see is that checksum for some files in jdk/jre
> installations would not be updated when tz files are modified. But I
> don't think that this is a show-stopper.
>
> What do you think?
> Thanks!

I would certainly like to be able to get away from updating a lot of ports
when a new tzupdater comes out.  However, breaking the packing list for
already installed ports is a show stopper.

A possible alternative is to not install zoneinfo files for any of the JDKs
but instead create symlinks to a centrally created set of zoneinfo files
created by the tzupdater port you're suggesting.  Its not actually a
problem that you don't have a JDK to run tzupdater with (hint: see the
current diablo-jdk16 port and how it handles tzupdater).  For extra credit
you could use the zoneinfo files from the existing misc/zoneinfo port
rather than waiting for Sun to release updated tzupdater releases.

I haven't looked into this at all, so there might be some tricks I'm
missing.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org