Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:35:58 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Cc:        Remko Lodder <remko@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adjusting Cpan on upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3_SOLVED

On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:50:45 David Southwell wrote:
> On Saturday 12 July 2008 10:17:32 Remko Lodder wrote:
> > David Southwell wrote:

> > > I removed all .cpan from the system
> > > That does not seem to be the problem.
> > >
> > > This error line from cpan shell may provide a clue:
> > >

> > > cpan > r
> > > ___________________________
> > > LWP failed with code[500] message[Errno architecture
> > > (amd64-freebsd-6.1-release) does not match executable architecture
> > > (amd64-freebsd-6.3-stable) at
> > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
> > > _______________________________
> > >
> > > Checking the file:
> > > Errno.pm has the following header:
> > >
> > > #
> > > # This file is auto-generated. ***ANY*** changes here will be lost
> > > #
> > >
> > > package Errno;
> > > our (@EXPORT_OK,%EXPORT_TAGS,@ISA,$VERSION,%errno,$AUTOLOAD);
> > > use Exporter ();
> > > use Config;
> > > use strict;
> > >
> > > "$Config{'archname'}-$Config{'osvers'}" eq
> > > "amd64-freebsd-6.1-release" or
> > > 	die "Errno architecture (amd64-freebsd-6.1-release) does not match
> > > executable architecture ($Config{'archname'}-$Config{'osvers'})";
> > >
> > > $VERSION = "1.10";
> > > $VERSION = eval $VERSION;
> > > @ISA = qw(Exporter);
> > >
> > > It looks as though Errno.pm does not get updated even with
> > > # Portupgrade -Rf perl5.8.
> > >
> > > What creates this file?
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > It gets installed as part of perl 5.8.8 install
> > (at my end):
> >
> > nakur# pkg_info -W /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/Errno.pm
> > /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach/Errno.pm was installed by package
> > perl-5.8.8_1
> >
> > are you using a package? is your ports tree up to date and did you
> > entirely reinstall it from there? (because it seems that a reinstall
> > will update the freebsd version as well)..
>
> I am not using a package but compiling.
>
> The interesting thing is that the date on Errno.prn predates the the
> upgrade I am tempted to conclude that a new file is not being written by
> the port makefile on upgrade. That suggests the port is not checking to see
> whether the system has been upgraded.
>
> I have a lot of cpan modules installed so maybe I should delete everything
> and start again unless someone can come up with a simple solution
> <chuckles>
>
> david
I eventually solved this but only after deleting the perl5.8 library after
deinstalling and doing a complete install from scratch. The problem seems to
stem from an omission in the port's Makefile to check whether therer has been
an upgrade of the OS and take appropriate action.

I will email the maintainer and let him know about the problem.

David