Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:01:29 +0100
From:      Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ident daemon: oIdentd creating a lot of processes

Hello

Anjang Aki wrote:
> i'm using oidentd-2.0.8 installed through /usr/ports/security/oidentd
> for ident authentication

> is this normal for those who are using oidentd as ident daemon? or
> should i try other ident daemon?

Is there a reason why you do not use the identd from FreeBSD itself?

It is part of inetd and can be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf. I have
changed the default options from:

#auth   stream  [...]  auth -r -f -n -o UNKNOWN -t 30

to:

auth   stream  [...]  auth -r -t 30

Documentation about the options is in the manpage of inetd (search
for "auth").

Hope this helps.

bye
Fabian