Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:39:21 -0700
From:      "Murray Stokely" <murray@stokely.org>
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding visual representations of our structured XML content

There is a lot of low hanging fruit with the XML content that we could
be presenting on the website.  For example,

* The events.xml file includes a <location> tag for each entry, and we
could provide a map representation of upcoming events, or show how the
distribution of FreeBSD-related events looks like on a map each year
and how it has changed over time. (I added a basic map of upcoming and
past events at the top of http://www.freebsd.org/events/events.html
today).

* The usergroups.xml file could be cleaned up to include more precise
location information, then heatmaps of current usergroup activity, or
graphs of active usergroups by continent or country over time could be
plotted.

* New committer and release announcement information from news.xml
could be annotated more specifically and then plotted as a graph
showing the rate of these activities over the last N years.

Of course just because we can do something doesn't mean we should, but
I do think for things with a geographical component like usergroups a
map is a natural complement to a huge list with hundreds of entries.
There are also a number of places where we could be presenting more
interesting data in a purely text form, and I think at the very least
a lot of this data would be interesting to see for those interested in
metrics about the health of the FreeBSD community.

Thoughts on adding maps for upcoming events and usergroups to the web
pages?  Any objections to this?

           - Murray