Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:28:18 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
Subject:   Re: binary package dependencies

Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com> writes:

> I would like to know how to use self compiled ports made with make
> install together with the packages which can be downloaded with
> pkg_add -r ....
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading an old freebsd 6.0 server to 8.0 and
> have decided to try and use apache22.
>
> For various reasons I built the apache22 server using ports (mainly to
> force usage of a particular BSDB). Then added subversion also using
> ports.
>
> After setting up the new apache to act as an svn source and getting
> that working I decided to add viewvc.
>
> Rather stupidly I used pkg_add -r viewvc which seemed to work.
>
> However, my apache setup stopped working. After much faffing about I
> learned that the pkg_add -r viewvc had also installed another version
> of apache (a 2.0 version). All my apachectl commands were directed at
> the 2.0 version and my edits to the httpd.conf were bing entirely
> ignored.
>
> Somehow I had naively assumed that apache20 and apache22 were
> incompatible and could not simultaneously be installed. Did the binary
> package load ignore all conflicts? What's the proper way to approach
> these issues. Looking in the apache20 Makefile I see it conflicts with
> earlier apache, but how can it conflict with a later one?

I think that it should.  As I read it, apache22 registers a conflict
with apache20, but the reverse is not true.  If you had installed them
in the other order, it would've refused to install.  apache20 is the
default, so the official package was built depending on that.

I think this should be entered as a bug, but I'm not quite positive...

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/