Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 2009 11:41:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [libdispatch-dev] GCD libdispatch w/Blocks support working on Free (f

Dear all--

Those of you at the Cambridge devsummit are already aware of the port of
Apple's Grand Central Dispatch (GCD), a.k.a. libdispatch, to FreeBSD by Stacey
Son and I, in collaboration with Apple.  I've now uploaded my GCD talk slides
to the wiki:

    http://wiki.freebsd.org/200909DevSummit

We now have a devel/libdispatch port, which works out-of-the-box on FreeBSD
9-CURRENT.  libdispatch requires modest changes to kqueue, which we will merge
to 8.x once the code freeze lifts.

As of yesterday, I have libdispatch working with Apple's "Blocks" C languae
extension as found in clang, the last major architecture component required to
use GCD-based applications FreeBSD.  Jordan Hubbard at Apple has kindly
provided the necessary bits bundled up in a clang/llvm/compiler-rt package for
FreeBSD until the clang port is updated.  Some details in the attached e-mail.

As I mentioned at the FreeBSD developer summit, this is a work-in-progress (in
particular, we don't support pthread work queues, which allow the kernel
schedule to get involved in expanding the size of the thread worker pool
dynamically), but it should now be more than adequate to use in practice.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge