Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:09:28 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        noackjr@alumni.rice.edu
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from ZFS raidz

On Fri, May 15, 2009 19:07, Jonathan Noack wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 10:25, Doug Rabson wrote:
>> I fixed a bug in the patch. Try this version:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~dfr/raidzboot-14052009.diff
>
> I know the bug fix was for booting from degraded pools, but I can at least
> give you a "no regression" report.  I just set up a new amd64 box and was
> able to boot from a raidz1 pool using your latest patch.
>
> Getting this working from scratch was tedious but not too complicated.  I
> followed lulf's instructions
> (http://blogs.freebsdish.org/lulf/2008/12/16/setting-up-a-zfs-only-system/)
> using the May snapshot fixit CD.  Only differences were that I set up all
> 4 disks with gpart (identically), created a raidz1 pool, and used a
> patched gptzfsboot that I cross-compiled on my 7.2 i386 box for the
> bootcode (applied to all 4 disks).
>
> If only I had remembered to patch my /usr/src tree before rebuilding world
> and rebooting... *sigh*  Once more unto the fixit breach... :)

This (and the committed version) had been working fine for me on my stock
amd64 CURRENT system until I rebuilt world/kernel on 5/30 and rebooted.  I
get the following error on boot (hand transcribed so hopefully I didn't
screw it up):
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read object set for dataset lld
Can't find root filesystem - giving up
ZFS: unexpected object set type lld
ZFS: unexpected object set type lld

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: tank:/boot/kernel/kernerl
boot:
ZFS: unexpected object set type lld

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: tank:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

The previously working world/kernel was from 5/26.  I haven't had much
time to troubleshoot until today.  I can use the fixit CD to access the
ZFS pool with no issues; the problem appears to just be the boot code.  I
cross-built a fresh world on my i386 system today, reinstalled everything
in /boot, reinstalled gptzfsboot, and still got the same results.

What steps should I take to troubleshoot and resolve this?

Thank,
-Jon