Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:23:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      kama <kama@pvp.se>
To:        Barry Friedman <bf.mbox@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help recovering from 6404 Raid controller failure

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Barry Friedman wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@alameda.net> wrote:
>
> > You can just let it sit in the BIOS of the SmartArray controller it will
>
> How do you do this?
>
> > rebuild there too. Or you can download the SmartStart CD and boot it.
> > Run the Raid management tool from there to see progress.
>
> Thanks Ulf.   The machine is stable again after reseating all the
> cards for the third time.
> Will the 6404 rebuild while the machine is running or is it necessary
> to run SmartStart?
>
> dmesg shows:
> ciss1: *** Physical drive failure: SCSI port 1 ID 4
> ciss1: *** State change, logical drive 1
> ciss1: logical drive 1 (da1) changed status recovering->OK, spare status
>        0x15<configured,failed,available>
>
> Any idea how to translate this?

For what I can read out about it it says: (Its the default behavour)

Recovery to spare disk was successful. (recovering->OK)

The failed disk that was in the raid becomes spare and are now marked
failed.

When you replace the faulty disk, it will become the new spare. It will
not copy the data back to the disk in the possition that failed.

/Bjorn