Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:09:27 -0900
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>
Subject:   Re: Problem with ezjail: Manually restarted jails don't come up again

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:09:26 Frank Steinborn wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 03:23:33PM -0900, Mel wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 January 2009 12:24:31 Frank Steinborn wrote:

> > > 37948  p3  TJ     0:00.01 -su -c /bin/sh -c ^I"/usr/local/bin/mlnet ^I
> > > ^I ^I>> /dev/null 2>&1 &" (zsh)
> >
> >                              ^^^
> > Why is zsh shell involved?
>
> This was it. I should not have used the root-account inside the jails
> with zsh. I now use the toor account on zsh and put the shell of root
> back to csh everywhere.
>
> However, I don't understand why zsh is invoked, since all rc.d-scripts
> have shebang lines telling them to use /bin/sh? I'm a bit confused,
> maybe can someone give a bit light on this...

su invokes $SHELL of the target user, from su(8):

     By default, the environment is unmodified with the exception of USER,
     HOME, and SHELL.  HOME and SHELL are set to the target login's default
     values.  USER is set to the target login, unless the target login has a
     user ID of 0, in which case it is unmodified.  The invoked shell is the
     one belonging to the target login.  This is the traditional behavior of
     su.

So:
su root -c /bin/sh expands to ${SHELL} /bin/sh

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.