Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:30:27 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        afs-list freebsd <freebsd-afs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OpenAFS on FreeBSD 8.1

I did not expect my problems to have vanished, but I wanted to try again.

Should I use the git based port
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/openafs/openafs-devel.shar.txt
you pointed me to earlier for testing? Or should I always use
http://web.mit.edu/freebsd/openafs/openafs.shar that you posted to the
Quarterly Status Report?

With both, I run into the same problem compiling on FreeBSD 8.1.
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=209524 changed
the definition of ifa_ifwithnet. In rx/rx_kernel.h, FreeBSD 8.1 needs
the same definition of rx_ifaddr_withnet as AFS_OBSD46_ENV (while
FreeBSD 8.0 needs the generic one). Should FreeBSD 8.0 still be supported?

With the git based port, I get an error on "kldload libafs": "can't load
libafs: Exec format error" (missing symbol?) -- openafs-1.5.75 (the
other port) does not seem to have this problem.

Starting afsd, I realized that I had not updated my CellServDB and thus
tried to shutdown afsd, which complained about afs still being mounted.
Trying to umount /afs, I got a segfault in the kernel. (I had not
actually accessed /afs before doing that.) I guess restarting the afsd
is not possible for now. (No big deal.)

I listed a few directories without blocks for longer periods of time as
with my last testing. Good. Copying a huge file from AFS was terribly
slow (even for my DSL connection), but it steadily progressed and I was
able to abort it without deadlocking or crashing. Copying a 16MB file to
AFS blocked a parallel "ls -l" on the same directory I was copying to,
but it eventually finished. The file was not corrupted. Great.

The main differences besides being on FreeBSD 8.1 now and using a newer
version of the OpenAFS port are that this time I was testing from a slow
DSL connection (over a WLAN) and not the LAN connection in my university
and I was testing against the AFS of a different department. I will try
to repeat under the same conditions as the last tests (aside from the
software versions) later.

pagsh does not immediately crash anymore -- another improvement, even if
it is minor compared to FreeBSD not crashing anymore using AFS.

BTW: Thanks for all your work!

Cheers,
Jan Henrik