Date:      Sun, 9 May 2010 01:21:48 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: liblzma and xz to FreeBSD base

Martin Matuska wrote:
> Dear fellow devleopers,
>
> I would like to propose an import of liblzma and the utilities xz, xzdec
> and lzmainfo to base (vendor -> contrib).
> As I was informed, libarchive is already lzma-ready, some of our
> existing code could take advantage of liblzma instantly.
>
> The source code is imported from:
> http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-4.999.9beta.tar.gz
>
> All GPLv2, LGPLv2.1 and GPLv3 parts are stripped from the code (they
> cover only the build system and unimportant scripts).
> liblzma, xz, xzdec, lzmainfo are public domain licensed.
>
> A working patchset against HEAD (includes modified lesspipe.sh):
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/xz/
>
> The only patched file is src/common/bswap.h, with the patch from the
> archivers/xz port.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> mm

This would be great; we've been waiting for it for some time.  If you
could also coordinate with Alexander Rybalko <ray at dlink.ua>, who
described his module for kernel lzma support in Feb.:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-February/030774.html

(and follow-ups on -hackers Feb.-Mar.) to help him incorporate his
work, that would be appreciated.

b.