Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:09:51 +0100
From:      "Erik Scholtz, ArgonSoft GmbH" <escholtz@argonsoft.de>
To:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cluster Filesystem on FreeBSD

Hi,

I did some research the last two weeks on how to build a cluster
filesystem on FreeBSD.

Since neither GFS ( http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/gfs/ ) nor OCFS2 (
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/ ) are ported to FreeBSD, I took a
look at the GlusterFS-project ( http://www.gluster.org/ ), which also
does not compile on FreeBSD 7.x, as well as PVFS ( http://www.pvfs.org/ ).

My solution at the moment is, to rsync all filesystems once a minute,
which is rather to rare. So I tried to get a hook with KQueue to rsync
the filesystems on data-change. Unfortunatly I could not find a working
solution (had a try with IO::KQueue using perl).

NFS isn't really a solution, since it is slow (even on 1GBit) and is a
single point of failure: Clustering the NFS server with machines in
stand-by, that do a fail-over on a crash of the master-NFS is unstable
and makes a lot more costs to the project.

I'm with FreeBSD since the 2.1 release and I really love this system for
it's performance and stability. But in the last year I came very often
to a point, where I had no solution on FreeBSD and several solutions for
Linux (like SAS-support, ...).

How do you guys solve this problem (of a shared filesystem with
rw-option)? Any hints are welcome, since I'm getting very frustrated at
the moment.

Greetings,
Erik

--