Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:40:20 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   The path is now set for "busybox", FreeBSD style

Hi everyone,

I've committed the below changes to -HEAD. You can now create and build your
own busybox style binary system, completely cross-compiled within the
existing Make framework. It isn't as impressive as it sounds though - a lot
of the framework is already there from just building crunchgen'ed
rescue/sysinstall binaries.

There's a few things which should be done. Specifically, being able to build
an alternative set of libraries before building the crunchgen target. The
base crosscompile system may include support for PAM, Kerberos, ATM/IPX, etc
but you may not want your crunch'ed image to have them. To do this right
now, you have to disable these features in the main build. That may be OK
for some.

But just to stress it - I've got a couple of access point images at home
running a crunchgen'ed environment under MIPS and besides the obvious binary
bloat, it works perfectly well. Besides a cut-down startup framework, the
image cross-builds entirely from the base FreeBSD source tree.

Let me know if you'd like to give it a shot and I'll put my "bsdbox"
Makefile scripts online to try.

Adrian