Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2010 02:47:02 +0200
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, ari@ish.com.au
Subject:   RE: boot code compatibility with ZFS

> FreeBSD 7.1: ZFS version 6, no ZFS boot capability
> FreeBSD 7.2: ZFS version 6, zfsboot only, boot from single vdev pool only
> FreeBSD 7.3: ZFS version 13, zfsboot broken, no ZFS boot capability
>
> FreeBSD 8.0: ZFS version 13, gptzfsboot and zfsboot, boot from mirrored pool
> or single vdev, RAIDZ not supported, degraded pool not supported

I am not really sure what gives you the idea that booting off a
degraded pool is not supported in 8.0. I have a zfsroot/boot
configuration sitting on a mirror and I have tested yanking one drive
at a time (resulting in a degraded pool) and booting with only 1 disk
present and it worked just fine.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov