Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:28:08 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   /pub/FreeBSD or /FreeBSD

Hello,

I'm asking about the official layout policy for mirrors.

I have an application that does parallel package downloads from
a list of mirrors and the different Layouts cause me some trouble.

A lot of mirrors locate everything in /FreeBSD instead of
/pub/FreeBSD. Mirrors that don't follow the /pub/FreeBSD layout
are currently subject to unnecessary load caused by my application
and cause significant CPU load on my side.

My application does only one download from each server at a time.
If a job fails the next available job is dispatched to the server
(and the failed job will try a different one as soon as one is
availble), so failing mirrors are subject to the highest frequency
of requests.

Is there an official policy for the mirror layout?

Of course I can add some layout probing, but it would significantly
slow down the startup phase of my application, which is a nuisance
for small use cases.

Regards

P.S.: I'm not on this list, so please CC me. If someone suggests
being on this list is useful for developing package management
software I will consider subscribing, though.