Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:45:22 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Network simulation using jails & vimage

--0-415875220-1266741835=:27327

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Julian Elischer wrote:

Hi,

> Jim Sifferle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I've used ipfw and Dummynet as well as ipfw + DSCP recognition patch and
>> pf/altq to simulate Internet and MPLS WAN environments for several
>> years.  All of my setups have run under VMWare, which for many reasons
>> isn't ideal.  I would like to collapse all of these VMs into one FreeBSD
>> box using jails and vimages.
>>=20
>> Does any FreeBSD branch / vimage release combination support separate pf
>> AND ipfw configurations per jail?  I need ipfw+pf/altq for HFSC queuing
>> to simulate the queueing effects of MPLS provider edge and core
>> routers.=20
>
> -current (9) should be close, with patches for pf supplied by ceri.

s,ceri,eri,  (Ermal Lu=E7i)

> 8 can do separate ipfw  but pf is not changed.
> 9 has bugs fixed. but I'm not sure if the changes for pf went in..
> they do exis tif they are not in already.

No, pf hasn't gone in yet; it lives in user/eri/pf45/ in svn and I am
not sure what the plans are.

Apart from the latest changes 8 and 9 should be pretty much in sync
wrt to VIMAGE I think.

>> I'm hoping the latest 7.2-STABLE-201001 snapshot will work.  The DSCP
>> recognition patch for ipfw that I rely on doesn't seem to work with
>> 8.0.=20
>> If 7.2 won't work for my needs, but 8 or 9-CURRENT will, is anyone aware
>> of an updated ipfw DSCP patch?  I haven't seen anything on Google or the
>> freebsd-ipfw mailing list.=20
>
> what is DSCP?

I guess Differentiated Services CodePoint (if talking MPLS).

/bz

--=20
Bjoern A. Zeeb         It will not break if you know what you are doing.
--0-415875220-1266741835=:27327--