Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 2010 18:53:08 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?TWF0ZXbFviBNYXJrb3ZpxI0=?= <ivwcorporation.matevz@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Working with tape drives

Hello!
I have a DDS2 tape drive (with some spare tapes) and I want to write a
simple C application, with which I will be able to write onto the tape (raw
I/O), rewind the tape, seek any byte on the tape and read from it. I have
FreeBSD 8.
Can I just use standard C functions for dealing with files or should I use
mt? If mt is the answer, then how should I read, seek and write to the tape?
I want to keep my C application as simple as possible. If manipulating with
tape drives cannot be done with just simple C I/O functions, then is it
possible to create a wrapper to those functions?
Thank you for your answers,
                                                 Matevz Markovic