Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:43:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-afs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AFS port now committed (was: Re: OpenAFS 1.6.0pre3 available (was Re: [OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.6.0 release candidate 2 available (fwd)))

On Sun, 29 May 2011, Robert Watson wrote:

> An FYI to those following OpenAFS on FreeBSD: there's now a committed port
> for it, net/openafs, which seems to work quite well for me here.  There are a
> bunch of loose ends Benjamin and others are chasing, including:

The port has just been updated to the 1.6.0pre6 version.  Unfortunately,
this one does need a few patches (but they are in upstream git as of the
past half hour), to make the installation more uniform for amd64 vs. i386,
and prevent a panic at unmount.

> - The port doesn't yet automatically create /afs and /usr/vice/cache
> (possibly
>  the latter should be /var/openafs/cache?).

I still need to do this ... "coming soon".

> - The kernel module build for the client requires some help finding
>  opt_global.h, fixable by moving to bsd.kmod.mk I think?

hrs@ has kindly contributed some code which uses config(8) to generate
opt_global.h, eliminating the need for a full kernel object tree -- only
kernel (and world?) sources and a kernel configuration file (default:
GENERIC) are needed.
I have also persuaded bsd.kmod.mk to build a libafs.ko in my development
tree, but that needs cleanup and testing before it gets released into the
wild.

> - The client currently uses a memory cache, not the vnode cache (on-disk
>  cache) due to locking issues which Derrick believes should be solvable in a
>  pretty straight forward manner given a bit of time.
>
> - FreeBSD doesn't have PAG support, although a MAC Framework module could
>  probably provide it fairly easily.
>
> - The AFS pages on the FreeBSD wiki require some refinement; the client one
>  seems generally to Just Work for me, but the server has quite a bit of
>  tweaking to do.  In particular, the port doesn't install pre-generated
>  databases, requiring some prodding around with pts, etc.  It sounds like
>  this should be fixed at some point?

These remain on the TODO list.

-Ben