Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:54:22 -0500
From:      Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things all ports mentors and potential mentees should know

--phbq2bkSb+hZnunM

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:06:20PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> On 5 March 2011 16:50, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:48:40PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
> >> On 30 November 2010 15:08, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe@freebsd.org> wro=
te:

> >> <bits from http://people.freebsd.org/~portmgr/mentor_guidelines.txt.as=
c>

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was thinking of volunteering to render this in SGML to go
> >> into the Committer's Guide... perhaps at the bottom of [1]?
> >>
> >> Is anyone working on this, or should I get started?
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-gui=
de/conventions.html

> > Hi Chris
> >
> > Thank you for your generous offer! =A0This is something on my long term
> > todo list, and is not yet on the radar, so if you want to sgmlise the
> > mentor guidelines, I would greatly welcome!
> >
> > Do your bit to render the doc, and I can work with you and maybe a doc
> > committer to get it in.
> >

> > Thomas
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> I've just finished rendering the mentor/mentee guidelines; I've stuck
> it in (for want of a better place) the Committer's Guide.
>=20
> The source for my changes is:
>=20
> http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/mentor_mentee_guidelines.diff
>=20
> It's rendered here:
>=20
> http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/comm.html#MENTOR.GUIDELINES
>=20
> Does anyone have any comments so far?

I like the general flow, as it does follow along with the original.

I minor nit I have to offer is inconsistent use of the
mailto:porgmgr@FreeBSD.org tag.  I would just use portmgr across the
board.

>=20
> Chris
>=20
> PS Hope you're proud of me for learning how to format SGML the 'proper
> way'; I may go back and fix the Tinderbox docs too to make them less
> offensive when I have time...
>=20

Good job on learning the SGML stuff, it is reasonably easy, and the FDP
guidelines are reasonably well documented.

If you have aspirations for various purposes, submit this as a PR, else
just say so, and I/we will do our part.

Thomas

--=20
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer