Date:      Sun, 29 May 2011 17:44:00 +0200
From:      Bengt Ahlgren <bengta@sics.se>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "tom@diogunix.com" <tom@diogunix.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPRS/UMTS device for a FreeBSD notebook ?

Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> writes:

> On 5/27/2011 2:27 PM, tom@diogunix.com wrote:
>>
>> But first: How can I check whether or not a certain product / model will be
>> supported by RELENG 8 ? Is there a list of devices anywhere hidden in RELENG
>> 8 ? And if so, where can I find it ?
>

> take a look at the man page for u3g. You can also look in the source
> code.  Often, to support slightly newer chipsets, you just need to add
> the device IDs
>
> e.g. see
>
> /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/serial/u3g.c
>
> There are quite a few there.  Also, some devices use a different driver,
> especially Option can make use of the uhso driver. I dont have an
> experience with that.

I use the uhso driver with an Option ICON 7.2 (needed firmware update).
It works very well indeed and much better than the ubsa driver I used
before.  With uhso you get a real network interface and thus don't need
to fiddle around with ppp.  You still get some serial ports with which
you can do "at" commands to control the modem if you want to do that
manually.  Otherwise the uhsoctl program takes care of all that for you.
At least on my laptop (Thinkpad X40), ppp over serial port didn't go
faster than 300kbit/sec or so.  With uhso I get much more.

Bengt