Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:32:33 -0500
From:      Ryan Coleman <editor@d3photography.com>
To:        Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenVPN - what configuration do I need/want

So... basically you've just set up servers that utilize the host =
connection or doesn't route?

On Nov 5, 2011, at 5:35 AM, Bill Tillman wrote:

> =20
> ________________________________
>=20
VPN for the guys in the office to utilize.
>=20
> Our configuration:
> My office: 192.168.46.0/24
>     Server IPs: 192.168.46.2 [8.2-RELEASE] + public IP
> Corporate office: 192.168.45.0/24
> My VPN: 192.168.47.0/24 [preferred]
> There's a NetVanta VPN between my office and the corporate office and =
I presume that will still work to route 47.0/24 to 45.0/24 when all is =
said and done.
>=20
> I am going to be supporting Windows and Mac clients (well, all windows =
and then my mac) and I'd like to test it from my 8.2 server at home =
before pushing this over to my MacBook Pro (using Tunnelblick) and then =
to my Windows users.
>=20
> I've tried the FreeBSD handbook and the Section6.net walkthroughs to =
no avail.
>=20
> Any help would be appreciated.
>=20
> Thanks,
> Ryan=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =20
> I can't say that I'm familiar with your setup which uses "bridging". =
But I setup OpenVPN to work on a server inside my LAN which is behind my =
FreeBSD firewall server. The setup wasn't that hard, you just have to =
forward the right ports and get the certificates copied to the clients =
correctly. The docs on the OpenVPN site were very helpful in this for =
me.=20
> The trouble you may find is that this other VPN appliance you =
reference, NetVanta, may or may not be compatible with OpenVPN. I tried =
this several years ago with a remote company I was working for and found =
out quite dissappointingly that the protocol used by OpenVPN would not =
work whatsoever with Cisco equipment. That may have changed now but at =
the time all the advice I got was forget about it. Cisco equipment would =
not work with OpenVPN period. Luckily at the time I had a small Cisco =
appliance at my house and that is the only way I could get that setup to =
work. These days I happily connect to my LAN with encrypted tunnels from =
most places like hotels, etc... There is a problem sometimes at places =
like Starbucks or McDonalds where they have equipment which is blocking =
ports needed to run VPN. And in most cases it's not that they are =
blocking specific ports, it's that they are blocking everything except =
port 80 to only let their freebie users surf web