Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:06:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to ask about problems with bsdinstall in 9.0RC2?

>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:06:43 -0400,
>> Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net> said:

D> xz has only marginal improvements in compressed size over bzip2, and
D> takes a lot more cpu/memory resources to compress.  In most cases, I'd
D> say it's the wrong choice for a compression format.  However, the one
D> place where it is unequivocally the *best* choice is one that will make
D> it well known: Distributing archives.

   Along these same lines, it works well for large mostly-text files.  I have
   a lot of historical data in text form, 60-100 Mb uncompressed per file,
   and I get ~18% smaller files using xz instead of bzip2.  I know disk
   space is cheap, but our rack space is limited.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

  That's okay, /dev/null is pretty big.     --illoai@gmail.com, 14 Feb 2011