Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:47:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        drew@mykitchentable.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8 LiveFS - How To Start SSHD?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Sat Dec 24 16:58:02 2011
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 14:35:35 -0800
> From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: FreeBSD 8 LiveFS - How To Start SSHD?
>
> I've lost a drive in my FBSD 8.? box.  I have a FBSD 8.1 LiveFS CD from
> which I've booted.  I'd like to get sshd running so I can connect
> remotely and have the ability to browse, copy/paste, etc. while I see
> what I might be able to salvage before replacing my drive.
>
> I've found these directions:
>
> http://wiki.ggis.biz/index.php/Recover_Using_LiveFS
>
> I can do the "Configure the network connection", the  "setup login shell
> for root", and the "Prepare SSH" part.  However the "Enable, configure,
> and start sshd" part doesn't seem to apply and really doesn't make sense.
>
> Bottom line is that after running /mnt2/use/sbin/sshd, I can see the
> process in ps output.  However when I attempt to connect to sshd as
> root, my connection is immediately closed.  I'm thinking it's a
> PermitRootLogin yes issue and I'm missing something but I've read and
> re-read that section and verified that /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains
> PermitRootLogin yes.

If it happens -before- getting the login prompt, it is *NOT* a PermitRootLogin
isssue.  If you get the login prompt, put in 'root', and are -then- cut off
it is a root login issue.

Immediate connect and disconnect points to an issue with the IP address
you're connecting from -- as sshd (or possibly tcpwrapper) sees it, that is.
could be "no reverse-DNS", or inconsistent forward/reverse.  Could be that
the address/domain is blocked in /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}