Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:07:03 +0900
From:      "Daisuke Aoyama" <aoyama@peach.ne.jp>
To:        "David Tidey" <david.tidey@tidey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: istgt performance issue when copying large files (1G plus)

Hi,

>I am using FreeBSD 8.2 with the very latest istgt version 20110103.

I submitted new version of istgt 20110223. You can install it from ports.
If you use QueueDepth, I recommend upgrading to 20110223.

>I am using istgt to expose a zfs volume to a windows client.

Which mode did you use? Latest istgt has three modes.

1) default or QueueDepth=0
  This mode uses single thread per connection.
2) QueueDepth=32 or any choice except zero (20100707 compatible)
  This mode uses one thread per connection and one thread per LUN.
3) QueueDepth with -m1 command line option (experimental)
  This mode uses two threads per connection and one thread per LUN.

The experimental mode is intended to be used by Hexa core CPU and 10Gbps
link,
and to be improved for 4KB random concurrent I/O.
Single core CPU is not supported under this mode.

The result of FreeNAS 0.7.2 with new istgt is here:
http://shell.peach.ne.jp/aoyama/archives/1384

Regards,
Daisuke Aoyama