Date:      Sun, 22 May 2011 00:16:42 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Willy Offermans <Willy@Offermans.Rompen.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem support MT9234ZPX-PCIE-NV

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:20:37AM +0200, Willy Offermans wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD friends,
>
> I need support with a MultiTech modem, MT9234ZPX-PCIE-NV
> (http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemZPX/)
>
> The modem is recognised during the boot event:
>
> <snip>
> pci6: <simple comms, UART> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> </snip>
>
> and also appears in the list of found hardware over the PCI bus:
>
> <snip>
> none1@pci0:6:0:0:       class=0x070002 card=0x20262205 chip=0x015213a8 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Exar Corp.'
>     device     = 'XR17C/D152 Dual PCI UART'
>     class      = simple comms
>     subclass   = UART
> </snip>
>
> However, as the boot process already mentions, there is no driver attached
> and I cannot get the modem to appear as an accessible and functional
> device. Is there someone, who can help me to get this modem to work?

It would be helpful if you could specify what FreeBSD version you're
using.

Assuming 8.2 or RELENG_8: no promises, but puc(4) is probably what
you're looking for.  I would try adding:

puc_load="yes"

To your /boot/loader.conf, then see what happens after booting.  uart(4)
may auto-attach to that.  Again, no promises.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |