Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2011 01:34:50 +1000
From:      Geoff Roberts <geoff@apro.com.au>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Atheros 5212 based card causing system freeze - suggested replacement?

Hi,

I have a Netgear WG311T PCI wireless card which uses an Atheros 5212 chipset.

I've just upgraded my FreeBSD 8 Stable (I'm tracking RELENG_8) hardware from
an old Athlon 64 chip to an i3 chip on a Gigabyte GA Z68XP-UD3 motherboard.

Unfortunately the system freezes when loading the Atheros drivers on this new
hardware. I have also tried FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 (64 bit) with the same result.

I am happy to purchase a new card as I'm guessing this may be an intractable
hardware issue. I've included debugging information below just in case there
may be a solution or anyone else has come across this issue.

I need a card capable of running Multiple Base Stations or Virtual Access
Points (VAP) - another reason for looking for a newer card.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a PCI or PCI Express wireless card
that they have found works well in FreeBSD 8 or 9 with VAP capability?

Debugging information
==============

ath0: <Atheros 52127> mem 0xfbce0000-0xfbceffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci4
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ar5212Attach - sc 0xffffff0002447000 st 0x1 sh 0xffffff00fbce0000
ar5212SetPowerMode: AWAKE -> AWAKE (set chip )
ar5212SetPowerModeAwake: Bogus SCR 0xffffffff, PCICFG 0xffffffff

At this point the system freezes.

pciconf reveals the following:

none1@pci0:4:0:0:       class=0x020000 card=0x4d001385 chip=0x0013168c
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
    device     = '802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter (AR2312)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet
    bar   [10] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfbce0000, size 65536, enabled
    cap 01[44] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D3  current D0

I'm running an amd64 system. The exact same system would boot without a
problem on the older hardware.

Kind regards,

Geoff