Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2012 14:55:44 GMT
From:      Adam Kirchhoff <akirchhoff135014@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/166755: snd_envy24(4) should mention limitations

>Number:         166755
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       snd_envy24(4) should mention limitations
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

After reading snd_envy24, I incorrectly assumed that full functionality was supported on those devices but, after installing an Audiophile 2496, and being unable to get recording to work, I discovered:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Sound

"All of this work to support all chips from the VT172x family and all possible hardware designs takes a huge amount of work and only covers the analog playback. Other features like recording, support for all hardware mixers, MIDI and all other features the envy24 chips provide are not implemented. Adding one of those features after each other -- at least for those chips where Konstantin collected the datasheets -- should be easy. It is not that time consuming, but Konstantin can not spend time for them. Anyone interested in some of those features is encouraged to have a look at the datasheets and to send some patches."

These limitations, particularly the lack of recording, should be mentioned in the snd_envy24 man page.