Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2013 21:38:39 +0100
From:      Johan Broman <je.broman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   load average 0.60 at 100% idle

Hi!

Bare with me here as I'm totally new to FreeBSD (like 2 weeks).

>From what I understand, there is a change in FreeBSD 9.1 ACPI code
that makes detection of devices happen earlier? This can result in
eventtimer irqs being shared with another device and can therefor
throw off tools reporting load avg values (they report constantly
around 0.60 in load). I guess there were good reasons for making the
ACPI change, so is this a ACPI problem or should the code around the
tools, such as top, change? This is a 9.1 "regression" as the problem
is not there in FreeBSD 9.0.

Here's some more info on the bug and possible workarounds:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=173541&cat=

and

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-April/067382.html

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Johan