Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:10:31 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VOP_MKDIR/VOP_CREATE and namecache

On Friday, July 19, 2013 12:27:40 pm Andriy Gapon wrote:

> Should VOP_MKDIR and VOP_CREATE immediately insert newly created vnodes into the
> namecache?  If yes, where would it be done best?  FS code, VFS code, VOP
> post-hooks, something else?

Hmm, I'm not sure.  However, if it is done, I think it needs to be done in the
FS code (e.g., NFS needs to be able to add it's special timestamps).

In UFS you could do this by just adding a cache_enter() call to ufs_direnter().
For NFS you would want the post-op attrs from the RPC reply (assuming it includes
attrs for the parent directory).

--
John Baldwin