Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2013 01:59:00 -0700
From:      Derek Wood <ddwood@highdensity.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Changing the documentation's font style.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:41:46AM +0100, Isabell Long wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I sent this idea to the #bsddocs IRC channel a few days ago and no-one
> there objected, but here you go. I'd like to know your opinions on the
> documentation font being changed from serif to sans-serif. This would
> only affect the web-based docs, not the ones being prepared for print.
>
> An example of this is at
> http://tau.devrandom.co.uk/issyl0/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ ,
> and a diff of my very simple changes is at
> http://tau.devrandom.co.uk/issyl0/docs_font.diff
>
> In my opinion, it makes a hugely positive difference and modernises
> the look of the documentation set.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Isabell.

I have no qualms about defaulting to a sans-serif typeface, but the
provided diff is also selecting a font (Verdana) and a font size
(10pt).

Using Chrome I am able to specify a default sans-serif font as well as
a default font size, so the only thing your patch does is change my
settings to something else.

I understand that many people don't set default fonts for whatever
reason, but I believe that just setting the "font-family" property to
sans-serif should have the desired effect without irking those who
have found their font settings. On Chrome in Windows I believe this
would switch the font from Times New Roman to Arial.