Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2013 21:17:46 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dtrace@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dtrace providers wanted list

Il giorno 12/ott/2013, alle ore 10:32, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org> =
ha scritto:

> On 09.10.2013 23:25, Mark Johnston wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 02:56:53PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> Hello;
>>>=20
>>> Sometime ago I looked around the list of Oracle's DTrace providers.
>>>=20
>>> https://wikis.oracle.com/display/DTrace/Providers
>>>=20
>>> We absolutely want them and although extremely useful as it is, =
DTrace
>>> won't be complete until we have them all ;). For the time being we
>>> should probably focus on getting the really critical ones though.
>>>=20
>>> The first in the list that we don't have that I think is critical is
>>> mentioned in Brendan Gregg's FreeBSD specific blog post:
>>>=20
>>> =
http://dtrace.org/blogs/brendan/2013/09/25/the-use-method-freebsd-performa=
nce-checklist/
>>>=20
>>> "Tracing paging is tricker until the vminfo provider is added; you =
could
>>> try tracing from swap_pager_putpages() and swap_pager_getpages(), =
but I
>>> didn=92t see an easy way to walk back to a thread struct; another =
approach
>>> may be via vm_fault_hold(). Good luck. ..."
>=20
> I started looking at this but it is somewhat more work than expected:
> Solaris has a specific vminfo interface in sysinfo.h. It looks very =
handy
> for providing general vm statistics but our vm is different and I am
> not sure we want to go into implementing such interface. It depends
> on a VM guru, anyways.
>=20
> OTOH, I found the fsinfo provider:
>=20
> =
https://bitbucket.org/illumos/illumos-gate/commits/5b50c2dcfdf948c4e4f0b88=
0eb76210067e7af7c
>=20
> Our VFS does have some similarity so this may be easier/doable, plus
> it may be needed by the scsi and ZFS providers.

Ugh =85

I looked at this one too, and similarly to the vminfo provider, there is =
a vopstats
structure in vnode.h that we don't have.

Both the vopstats and vminfo structures are used to support Solaris' =
kstat(1M) utility.
In other words, this is an in kernel system made to report statistics. =
While it
seems natural to use them for DTrace in Solaris, we would have to =
reimplement
it in some way if we want to have equivalent providers in FreeBSD. :-(

I am afraid that the CPC Provider may have similar issues but I haven't =
looked at it.

Pedro.