Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:33:48 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   "firstboot" keyword?

I'm experimenting with some rc.d scripts that would
ideally only get run once the first time a system
is booted.

Is there any interest in trying to generalize this?

I have in mind something like a "firstboot" keyword
on an rc.d script:  If it's there, the script would
only be run the first time the system is booted.

The specific thing I'm experimenting with right now
is auto-sizing system images:

I would like to distribute a system image for
the new ARM boards that will
automatically invoke growfs on first boot
to resize itself to the actual media size.
Such an image would fit on 2G cards
but take advantage of a much bigger card
if available.

I can envision other things that could benefit
from this sort of scheme as well.

Tim