Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:09:54 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   It's time to turn off your cvsup mirrors.

--nextPart4024576.eVKZ3ehbhU

It is time to turn off the remaining cvsup mirrors.

For the record, here's the timeline overview of how we got here:

Beginning of FreeBSD: cvs based. Used "sup(1)" to replicate, or CTM for=
 batch=20
processing though email.  The CVS repository was CLOSED and *private* t=
o=20
committers-only.  Non-committers could essentially only get src with re=
leases.

1995-ish: John Polstra wrote cvsup to efficiently distribute the CVS tr=
ee.  This=20
provided incentive for the FreeBSD project to clean up our tainted CVS=20=

repository and open it to the world.  CVSup essentially replaced CTM. (=
*1)

1995-1996: Extensive fan-out based cvsup distribution mechanism created=
 by=20
volunteers.

1996: rsync invented, cvsup grew rsync capabilities for repairs.  (Had =
rsync=20
existed a few years earlier, cvsup might never have existed)

[Good times and many bikesheds later..]

2008: src tree switched from cvs to svn. Since then, doc, www ports hav=
e also=20
switched.  A temporary transition aide was written to export the svn tr=
ee into=20
cvs, both as a fallback and to leverage the cvsup mirror network.

2008-2012: svn to cvs exporters ran, but were fragile.  They required f=
requent=20
repairs. They were written in python to a deprecated svn api.  Consider=
able=20
fear in updating the back-end svn servers resulted.

2012: (August) svn to cvs exporters began deprecation cycle including a=
n EOL=20
(end of 9.0, 8.3 and 7.4 support). https://wiki.freebsd.org/CvsIsDeprec=
ated

2012: (September) security incident tainted exported cvs tree with no e=
ffective=20
means to audit.  Since they had been announced as deprecated, we decide=
d that=20
a top-of-branch review would have to do.  The machine that ran the expo=
rters=20
was compromised.

2012: (October) a quick and dirty replacement svn to cvs exporter was h=
acked=20
together.  It no longer maintained 1:1 equivalence with svn.

2013: (Feb 28th) ports ceases being exported from svn to cvs entirely a=
t EOL=20
of 7.4. (ports had an explicit separate EOL schedule for this)

2014: (Feb 4th) An undiscovered maintenance error caused cvsup to compl=
etely=20
stop being updated (some key files were owned by root, preventing updat=
es by=20
the normal non-privileged mirror user)

2014: (April 30) 8.3 EOL reached (the final milestone for cvsup EOL)

2014: (May 24) mirror switch from cvsup to native rsync announced.
    https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hubs/2014-May/002737.ht=
ml

2014: (May 26) Problem from feb 4th discovered.  On realizing that nobo=
dy had=20
even noticed that cvsup was broken, the decision was made to shut down =
the=20
exporter and cease entirely on May 31st.
    https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hubs/2014-May/002739.ht=
ml

2014: (May 31) shutdown deadline reached.  Contents were purged and arc=
hived=20
on ftp.freebsd.org in /pub/FreeBSD/development/CVS-archive

2014: since then: server has been handing out an empty repository.

A quick glance at the last 23 hours of logs shows the same mirrors are =
still=20
reliably connecting to cvsup-master as before, mirroring nothing but th=
at=20
README file.

  70 root@p32195-ipadfx41marunouchi.tokyo.ocn.ne.jp <kuriyama@freebsd.o=
rg>
  24 root@radiogaga2.corbina.net <cvsup@corbina.net>
  24 root@backups.absolight.net <mat@FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@raines.cse.buffalo.edu <root@cvsup5.FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@office.oberon.net <cvsup@cvsup8.de.FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@ncvsup.twc.weather.com <mperrin@weather.com>
  23 root@moss.cse.buffalo.edu <cvsup@cvsup-spare.FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@mirror.dk.freebsd.org <fj@batmule.dk>
  23 root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu <cvsupin@cvsup18.FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@jbell.maths.tcd.ie <dwmalone@freebsd.org>
  23 root@freebsd.twaren.net <tjs@cvsup3.tw.freebsd.org>
  23 root@cvsup.ludd.ltu.se <adm@ludd.luth.se>
  23 root@coupland.heanet.ie <cvsup@cvsup2.ie.FreeBSD.org>
  23 root@akane.desync.com <cvsup@desync.com>
  12 root@regency.nsu.ru <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
   3 root@daniel.thekeelecentre.com <cvsup@thekeelecentre.com>
   1 root@gate.rabson.org <dfr@freebsd.org>
   1 root@florida.sarang.net <holywar@mail.holywar.net>

I will be attempting to contact people.  If you have better contacts fo=
r these=20
people than I have above, please forward this notice accordingly.

If you are a hostmaster for a CC.freebsd.org zone, please use your cont=
act=20
information for your surviving cvsupN.CC.freebsd.org and reach out to t=
hem and=20
forward this notice.  You should be aiming to have the dns names remove=
d.=20

I am removing the cvsup-master dns name today and begin the process of=20=

archiving and recycling the servers.

It had an outstanding run.  Goodbye old friend, Long live CVSup!

Footnotes:
*1: CTM is still running.  How ironic!
=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246