Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:15:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merge ping+ping6 and traceroue+traceroute6 to single utilities?

>> remote login tools, we are usually aware of address family when using network
>> management tools.  We do not just want to know the reachability to the host,
>> but want to know the reachability to the host via a particular network protocol
>> such as IPv6.  Thus, even if we had a unified ping(8) command for both IPv4 and
>> IPv6, we would usually type a -6 or -4 option (or something like those) to
>> specify the particular address family.  This essentially means that we have two
>> different commands.
>
> Disagree. As I showed in my previous message, *only* in the case of a
> name with both A and AAAA records is this necessary.
>
> I use unified ping and traceroute on JunOS daily. It's a blessing not
> to have to specify the address family.

Disagree. In the current, on FreeBSD, in either case, it's less keystrokes.
How is ping -6 || ping -4 better?
What's the point?
How will modifying all the some thousands of scripts everyone currently uses
based on the current commands, make it better?
Really. This is a silly argument. Adding switches makes no sense.

--Chris