Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:53:53 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD-ppc/ppc64 on emulators? [.iso based CD boot problems exist for PowerMac G5's too]

First I quote what I wrote about when the hangups occur on the G5's =
(combining quotes from the two messages so the overall notes are easier =
to understand):

> For a C-key style boot it hangs shortly after displaying
>=20
>=20
> and stops while displaying "/" from its progress indicator. The fans =
then gradually spin up.
>=20
> In other words: It hangs just before it would normally display the =
line that includes the text: /boot/kernel/kernel

The original messages were:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2014-June/007029.html
and
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2014-June/007056.html

Even the /b prefix from /boot/kernel/kernel did not show up even though =
/boot/defaults/loader.conf did show up just fine.

As for trying 11-CURRENT: I've not tried 11-CURRENT for anything yet. =
And, unfortunately, I'm now away from the PowerMacs for weeks so I will =
not be doing new experiments for several weeks. I can try once I get =
back.

All the 9.2/9.3-STABLE's that I tried worked. And 10.0-RELELASE worked. =
Any 10.0-STABLE from before about Apr-27 I've never tried: Late April is =
about when I started the experiments with PowerMacs.

Also: I had no troubles with 10.0-STABLE for powerpc on PowerMacs. =
PowerPC64 on PowerMac G5's is where I had problems. (I do not have other =
kinds of PowerPC equipment available.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net

On Jul 26, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:

This boot issue from .iso's (burned to CDs) is not specific to emulation =
(assuming it is the same problem in both places).

I'm afraid that it sounds like PowerMac G5's hang the same way/place =
whenever I've tried a fairly modern PowerPC64 10.0-STABLE .iso burned to =
a CD. I was able to boot 10.0-RELEASE's .iso burned to a CD. I've not =
tried emulation.

Having an initial FreeBSD running I tend to use the MANIFEST and .txz =
files with "bsdinstall auto" to make new from-scratch (not =
buildworld/buildkernel) installations when I want such.

My notes on the G5 boot issue for the .iso's burned to CD's were =
reported in: (I'm not near the PowerMacs, unfortunately)

FreeBSD 10-STABLE powerpc64 r266807 CD PowerMac7, 2 (and 7, 11) boot =
hangs very early in the process

Has anyone booted a G5 PowerMac from a recent 10.0-STABLE .iso burned to =
CD? A multi-processor one?

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net