Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:01:04 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
Subject:   10.1-BETA2 "as distributed": PowerMac G4 (yes: 4) no boot hang with GeForce4 Ti 4600, so no hang without options DDB/GDB?

I tried installing 10.1-BETA2 directly from the 10.1-BETA2 MANIFEST and =
*.txz files (via bsdinstall) to an SSD. The result booted the GeForce4 =
Ti 4600 PowerMac G4 just fine.

It appears that the additions of "options DDB" and "options GDB" to =
GENERIC (and then doing buildworld kernel ...) may be what lead to the =
boot time hang for the GeForce4 Ti 4600 video board based PowerMac G4. =
The alternate is that WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D, WITHOUT_CLANG=3D, WITH_DEBUG=3D=
 contributes or verbose_loading=3D"YES" in /boot/loader.conf does. Or =
just building from source from a powerpc/GENERIC context (on a G5 =
PowerMac) leads to the issue.

At this point I've no clue why the GeForce4 Ti 4600 combined with any of =
those alternatives leads to the hang. I may never know since the hang is =
silent and rather early in the boot sequence. The radeon based PowerMac =
G4's did not hang. Nor did the GeForce 7800 GT PowerMac G5's.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net

On Sep 17, 2014, at 11:01 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> =
wrote:

For FreeBSD 10.1-BETA1 the 1.4GHz Dual-processor PowerMac G4 (yep: 4) =
with a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 in it always hangs after:

> GDB: no debug ports present
> KDB: debugger backends: DDB
> KDB: current backend: DDB

without writing out the Copyright notice or anything else.

The same SSD boots an ATI Radeon 9000/PRO If (AGP/PCI) PowerMac G4 of =
the same PowerMac model just fine. (I give uname -a and build details =
later.) The same SSD also boots a PowerMac G5 with a GeForce 7800 GT =
video board just fine. Other than the SSD, video board, and memory, =
there is only basic stock equipment in the PowerMacs. The two G4's match =
for those details as well: only the video boards are different models =
and the amounts of RAM match.

And my older 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271215 boot SSD still boots the GeForce =
Ti 4600 PowerMac G4 just fine.

While the place for the boot-hang is suggestive, I've nothing beyond =
that indicating any relationship to the random PowerMac G5 boot problem =
at the same place in the display sequence.

And on the G4 DDB is not reporting anything, unlike on the G5 when it =
hangs there.

Context for failed boots off the GeForce Ti 4600 PowerMac G4 (I've not =
tried much variation from this so no claims of essential status for any =
of it):

> FreeBSD FBSDG4S1 10.1-BETA1 FreeBSD 10.1-BETA1 #1 r271610M: Wed Sep 17 =
21:47:20 PDT 2014     root@FBSDG4S1:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  =
powerpc

The "M" status of r271610M (now that I "make -j 8 buildworld kernel" =
based on svn materials in /usr/src/) is from the GENERIC modification in =
the modifications listed below. The non-default things are...

A) Adding to /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC: "options DDB" and =
"options GDB".

B) Having /etc/make.conf use WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D, WITHOUT_CLANG=3D, =
WITH_DEBUG=3D, as well as having a WRKDIRPREFIX=3D(path not listed =
here).

C) Having /boot/loader.conf with just: verbose_loading=3D"YES".

Context for working boots of the same GeForce Ti 4600 PowerMac G4:

> FreeBSD FBSDG4S0 10.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-PRERELEASE #0 r271215: =
Sat Sep  6 23:56:15 PDT 2014     =
root@FBSDG4S0:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  powerpc

/usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC was not modified at all. (Thus no M =
suffix on r271215.)

But /etc/make.conf uses WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3D, WITHOUT_CLANG=3D, =
WITH_DEBUG=3D, as well as having a WRKDIRPREFIX=3D(path not listed =
here).

/boot/loader.conf empty.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard